Introduction to UM Cantonese Debating Team
The Cantonese Debating Team of University of Macau (UMCDT) aims to promote Cantonese debating activities. With constant connections to universities and institutes, secondary schools, academic organizations and debating enthusiasts in Macau, Hong Kong and Mainland China, the UMCDT organizes various competitions, conferences and workshops in order to promote cooperation and interaction of Cantonese debating culture and motivate the development of debating and speech culture.
Since its establishment in 1982, the Cantonese Debating Team wasted no time to provide members with actual chances in debating, with the specific aim of improving their debating abilities and skills and understanding the debating culture in a better way. Every year, the UMCDT not only represents the University of Macau for debating competitions between institutes and universities in Macau and Hong Kong, but also actively cooperates with Hong Kong universities to hold different Cantonese debating competitions, including the one with the University of Hong Kong, the one with the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, the one with the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and the one with the Education University of Hong Kong, which provide a platform for debating teams of both cities to interchange debating experience and for team members to learn from each other.
Welfare and Obligation of UMCDT Members
Those who are officially admitted to the UMCDT can enjoy the following welfare:
– Join our training and gain the instructions of debating skills for free.
– Enjoy the chances to be recommended to take part in the Summer Programmes and get subsidies.
– Enjoy the chances to take part in various activities and competitions regarding UM CDT.
– Those whose attendance is over 80% throughout the whole academic year can get 400 Special A in Whole Person Development Award Programme.
-Attend weekly regular training and additional training before competitions.
– Take part in the competitions and performances hosted by UMCDT.
– 20:30 to 22:30 every Thursday and Saturday night.
– Additional training before competitions.
l Specific training time will be adjusted due to training progress and UM Calendar.
We require you to have team spirit and a sense of responsibility. You need to have interest in Cantonese Debating and ensure to participate in our weekly training.
Please enter the link below. You may also search and like our Facebook page, “UMCDT” for more information. The deadline for application is 30 September 2023.
UMCDT Facebook page:
For any inquiries, please contact Ms. Sou from Student Resources Section by 8822-9909.